Pakistan yet to decide on schedule for Australia series

Emirates Cricket Board waiting to get the go-ahead from the PCB

BY M. Satya Narayan, Abu Dhabi Deputy Editor
00:00 June 28, 2012

Abu Dhabi: Despite the ICC’s approval for a six-match Twenty20 series between Pakistan and Australia, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) is yet to confirm it will go ahead.

When Gulf News contacted Dilawar Mani, the outgoing chairman of Emirates Cricket Board, about a possible schedule for the series, he said: “First PCB will have to confirm that the series will be played here in the UAE.”

The series, a ‘home’ one for Pakistan, is likely to be played here in late August and early September.

While both Australia and Pakistan would like to play six matches in preparation for the Twenty20 World Cup which follows the series, the PCB also have to take on board the views of their official broadcasters.

While three ODIs may mean more revenue, the hot and humid conditions will make that difficult. It has also been reported Australia have refused to player the longer format in the conditions. As a result, six Twenty20 matches looks the most likely outcome.

Prior to the ICC’s approval, the Australian Cricketers Association chief Paul Marsh told the Daily Times that the Australian players may refuse to play the ODIs due to the extreme heat in August and September in the UAE.

“At this stage the venue for the series between Pakistan and Australia hasn’t been confirmed nor the schedule. We do, however, understand that the preference of both the PCB and the Cricket Australia is to play a six-match T20 series in the UAE,” the Daily Times quoted Marsh as saying.

“The ACA has genuine concerns about the temperatures in the UAE at the proposed time of this series.

“Our concerns will be reduced if the PCB-CA proposal to play six T20 matches and no ODIs is agreed.

Playing ODIs in the expected heat is potentially dangerous to the health and safety of players of both teams.

T20 matches are obviously shorter in length, can start later at night and therefore the risks to players are lessened.

“We will assess the proposed schedule once it is agreed between the PCB and the CA and consider our position from there.”