Dubai: Twenty-two people sustained serious to moderate injuries after 44 vehicles crashed in Abu Dhabi.
Traffic authorities in Abu Dhabi warned motorists to take alternative routes after two multi-vehicle accidents affected scores of cars on the major highway that links Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
The accidents were reported at around 8.30am and 10am, and brought cars to a standstill.
— Abu Dhabi Traffic (@ad_traffic) February 6, 2018
Traffic was backlogged on the highway, due to the incident that occurred after the Al Samha Bridge.— Abu Dhabi Traffic (@ad_traffic) February 6, 2018
A source from Abu Dhabi Police told Gulf News that the first accident happened between several vehicles on the way to Abu Dhabi, and urged motorists not to rubberneck and gape at the scene.— Gulf News (@gulf_news) February 6, 2018
Abu Dhabi Police said the accident was caused by Tuesday morning’s heavy fog.
At total of 18 people sustained minor injuries, two were serious injured and two others received moderate injuries.
#شرطة_أبوظبي ترجو من الإخوة السائقين توخي الحذر بسبب انخفاض الرؤية الأفقية أثناء تشكل الضباب
Abu Dhabi Police urges drivers to be cautious due to low visibility during fog formation pic.twitter.com/vVWz2amMed— شرطة أبوظبي (@ADPoliceHQ) February 5, 2018
The second accident was reported after the Al Hair district of Al Ain, towards the Nahel area.
إصابة 22 شخصاً بحادث تصادم بين 44 مركبة في أبوظبي و3 إصابات في العين بسبب الضباب pic.twitter.com/tQJbkbJmcy— شرطة أبوظبي (@ADPoliceHQ) February 6, 2018
Abu Dhabi Police posted an online video of the wreckage as police and paramedics rushed to the accident site.
Accompanied with the video was the caption: “Police call on the public to be cautious and leave a safe distance between vehicles during the fog. Abu Dhabi Police published the video to raise the public’s awareness on driving safe.”
شرطة أبوظبي تدعو الجمهور إلى توخي الحيطة والحذر وترك مسافة أمان كافية بين المركبات واستخدام المواقف الآمنة خارج الطريق أثناء الضباب ومتابعة رسائل التوعية عبر حسابات شرطة أبوظبي على مواقع التواصل الاجتماعي . وتنشر شرطة أبوظبي فيديو لحادث مروري وقع اليوم بسبب الضباب في إطار حرصها المستمر على توعية الجمهور. #الإمارات #أبوظبي #شرطة_أبوظبي #الإعلام_الأمني #UAE #AbuDhabi #ADPolice #security_media
HOW TO DRIVE SAFELY IN FOG
• Use dipped headlights along with front fog lights if your car has them. Fog lights emit low, narrow vertical pattern (and wide lateral spread) of light.
• Keep the inside of your windshield and windows free of ‘misting’ by keeping the air-conditioner switched ‘on’, and your airflow set to ‘demist’.
• Watch for other drivers not using their headlights.
• Maintain a greater distance between you and the car in front.
• Moderate your speed so that you can stop within the distance you can see clearly, especially on highways and dual carriageways
• Check your mirrors before you slow down.
• Make your journey unless it is absolutely necessary. Wait for visibility to improve.
• Use hazard (flashing) lights while driving in fog and sandstorms as this will confuse others. Only use them if you have had a breakdown or accident.
• Accelerate to get away from a vehicle that is too close behind you.
Follow the three-second rule
Choose a fixed point that is even with the car in front of you. This can be a road sign or a lamp post. As soon as the car ahead of you drives past that fixed point, count one to three seconds and if you reach that same fixed point before you can count to three, that means you do not have a safe distance between you and the car ahead of you.
What to do in a collision
If your vehicle is operational and there is a hard shoulder on the road, park your vehicle there and switch on your hazard light. Stay off the main road as you wait for emergency personnel.