MENU

gulfnews.com

CRICKET Australian bowler Pat Cummins ruled out of England series

Mitchell Johnson replaces side-strain victim for second one-dayer on Sunday

AFP
July 1, 2012

London Australia fast bowler Pat Cummins was ruled out of the remainder of the one-day series against England on Sunday after suffering a side strain in the opening match at Lord’s on Friday.

“Pat sustained an abdominal muscle strain on his left side during the first ODI at Lord’s,” Australia team doctor John Orchard said in a statement.

“Whilst he was able to complete his ten overs, he was sore after the game and was scanned, the results of which have revealed a medium grade side-strain.

“This will keep him out of the remainder of the England tour.

“His return to cricket will be decided in due course, based on follow-up examinations in Australia.”

The 19-year-old Cummins took one for 53 in his first senior international match against England — a fixture the hosts won by 15 runs to go 1-0 up in the five-match series.

Cricket Australia said Cummins would leave England for Australia on Monday.

The announcement of his withdrawal came on the morning of the second ODI at The Oval here on Sunday.

Australia’s National Selection Panel added that no replacement bowler would join the squad, as there are sufficient fast-bowlers available for selection in the tour party already.

Experienced left-arm quick Mitchell Johnson replaced Cummins as Australia looked to level the series.

This was the second time in a matter of months that Cummins’ fledgling international career had been interrupted by injury, with this tour his first for Australia since a foot problem cut short his time in South Africa after he took seven wickets on Test debut in Johannesburg in November.

New Stories in Sport

Athletics Basketball (1) Cricket (9) Football (10) Golf (1) Horse Racing (1) Motorsport (1) Rugby (2) Sailing Tennis Other sports