Dubai: Recovery or towing vehicles operating in Dubai will have to adhere to new set of specifications from next month, the Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) announced on Sunday.
The new technical standards require the recovery vehicles to have reflective stickers on all sides of the vehicle’s body, while 70 per cent of the flatbed surface of the vehicle must be within the rear axle point.
Among the other stipulations is the restriction of the vehicle’s flatbed width to that of the driver’s cabin limit.
The specifications also require that the maximum width of the extra elongation must not exceed 5cm on each side.
“The flatbed must be firmly fixed to the chassis leaving no space between the flatbed and the body. There must be no sharp edges, and the vehicle must be fitted with a rear safety bumper and a high-quality protection rubber,” said Abdulla Yousuf Al Ali, CEO of RTA’s Licensing Agency.
He added that the new regulations also require that no poles or metal/wood components are fixed to the surface.
According to the regulations, the truck must be equipped with a reflective triangle, orange warning lights and a warning alarm.
Al Ali said the RTA would not register or renew the registration of towing vehicles unless they comply with these standards.
“The introduction of these specifications is prompted by the potential hazards to traffic safety and road users caused by towing vehicles in their present shape. RTA has thus to practice its customary role of curbing the risks associated with these types of vehicles,” said Al Ali.
Approved by the Ministry of Interior, the details of the new technical stipulations for recovery vehicles are being circulated to operators of towing and recovery vehicles.
New recovery vehicles specs
• Vehicles should have reflective stickers on all sides of its body.
• 70 per cent of the rear flatbed surface of the vehicles must be within the rear axle point.
• Vehicle’s flatbed width should not exceed driver’s cabin limit.
• Maximum width of the extra elongation must not exceed 5cm on each side.
• Flatbed must be firmly fixed to the chassis leaving no space between the flatbed and the body.
• There must be no sharp edges.
• Vehicle must be fitted with a rear safety bumper and a high-quality protection rubber.
• Vehicle must be equipped with orange warning lights and a warning alarm