law & finance

Residence Visa: How to sponsor your husband or wife in Dubai

Here's your guide on how to get residency visa for your spouse if you're the sole earning member

08:00 August 21, 2017
Couple Visa

It is often the case that either the husband or wife is the only earning working member while residing in Dubai. This guide will detail exactly how you can apply to sponsor your spouse and get a residency visa for them as well.

If you are a new parent, here's a guide on getting a passport and visa for your baby.

Note: This is an informative guide only and should only be taken as such. For any queries, contact GDRFA

Salary limits

Husband sponsoring wife

For a husband to sponsor his wife and children, he needs to be earning Dh3,000 plus accommodation, or Dh4,000 without accommodation.

Wife sponsoring husband (basic category)

For a wife to sponsor her husband and children, she should be earning Dh3,000 plus accommodation, or Dh4,000 without accommodation - if she is a teacher, doctor, engineer or in any medical sector-role.

Wife sponsoring husband (other category)

For women who work in other categories, a special request needs to be submitted to General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs Dubai (GDRFA or DNRD) for approval after which the processes are the same. The salary limit in this case usually starts at Dh8,000 with accommodation, but this needs to be verified with GDRFA as the approvals are given on a case to case basis. 

Also see our guide on how to sponsor your parents in Dubai

Documents required

- Typed application form

- Salary certificate and attested work contracts

- 3 months bank statement for long-time residents (New residents can submit 1 month bank statement and bank letter confirming salary transfer)

- Attested tenancy contract, Emirates ID card and labour contract of sponsor

- Marriage certificate that has been attested by UAE authorities (regardless of where you were married)

- Passports (original) and copies of both sponsor and family member/s.

- Medical check-up report of spouse or children over 15 years of age from authorized hospital/clinic

- 3 passport photos of family member/s

- Approval from GDRFA in case of the other category of employment for women.

Read our guide to getting mandatory health insurance for your dependents in Dubai.


- Go to a typing centre with copies of all relevant documents and get a typed up application form. It will cost around Dh310 per family member not inclusive of typing charges. 

- Submit the application form, copy of entry visa (tourist or visit), medical certificate and all other documents at the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs Dubai (GDRFA) to get the visa approved. The total visa fee is around Dh360 per person.

- If your spouse is not in the country at the time of application, he or she has to complete medical tests, visa stamping and Emirates ID procedures within 60 days of date of entry as given in the entry permit. 

- If your spouse is in the country, he or she need not exit the country. Pay Dh510 to change the status of the visa from temporary to residency without leaving the UAE.